Tuesday, June 17, 2014

No tips, please!

The first Wednesday in Sydney was my birthday. I wanted Prashant to do something special for me. He ran through some Sydney guide books and decided we could go ferry riding to a nearby beach – Manly, have a nice dinner out and crash back home. I couldn’t wait to leave office that evening. I took some videos on the ferry to share with folks back home, the picturesque views all through the 20-minute ride was quite enjoyable. 



Unfortunately, we got our timing completely wrong.

By the time we hit Manly it had turned dark so we couldn’t really do much but take a stroll along the ocean.  In the dark.  Soon, we hit an ice cream parlour. Ice creams, I must admit, are delicious here. I loved the ‘Ben & jerry’s’ brand in Europe and Singapore but the gourmet ice creams that Australia offers is difficult to find elsewhere. Prashant who is a gelato fan was disappointed with his ‘Gelatismo’ ice cream though. I found it so bad that I advised him to bin it!! We found out later that a certain Gelato Messina brand is the best ever gelato in Australia. We are yet to try that out. More here - Gelato Messina

I also had one “whopper vegetarian burger” at a seemingly popular chain called ‘Hungry Jacks’. MacD wont do veg burgers in Australia. Even in the more Indian and 'pure vegetarian' Gujarati suburb called Parametta the MacD didn't offer a single vegetarian burger. Rather surprising! Nevertheless, food, in this country, has never disappointed me. Cost has.  A colleague told me recently -- “There may be a hundred things wrong with this country but you will never complain about the food. The food is always great.”
 I can’t agree more with her.


And, generally, Australians do not tip. “The cost of food, and the costs generally are so high because they are paid really well. So, you don’t have to tip them on top of the exorbitant rates they already charge,” my colleague explained. Makes total sense. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment